Monday, March 10, 2014

Squeaky Clean: How to Clean Brushes on a Budget

Personally, I don't feel like spending piles of money (just a mild exaggeration) on brush cleaner when there's other options available to get your brushes sanitary and smelling good. Through watching many youtube videos and browsing pinterest, this is the method that I've come up with to accomplish this goal. Disclaimer: I am by no means a makeup expert, and this is just one way to clean your brushes.


Step 1: Pour a small amount of baby shampoo (the Target brand,  works just as well as the name brand) into the palm of your hand. 

Step 2: Swirl the brush in the shampoo until all of the gunk comes out (you may have to do this twice for a particularly dirty brush). Sometimes I'll add a little water just to create a lather and make sure the brush is clean. Use warm water to clean all of the soap and makeup out of the brush.


Step 3: Put a piece of paper towel (I used a few layers) on top of a binder. Yeah, I know, it sounds weird BUT there's a method to my madness. If you let your brushes dry right-side up, the glue will be damaged and the hairs will begin to fall out. Brushes are too much of a financial investment to be ruined! My solution is to dry them at an angle (which explains the binder) to prevent this from happening. You can also dry them upside down if you have a stand. 

 
Prices:
up & up™ Baby Shampoo - 15 oz. : $1.49
MAC Brush Cleanser: $15.00

I usually clean my brushes at night so they have time to thoroughly dry before I use them. This method works for me, but you can change it to fit your needs! 

-Courtney





No comments:

Post a Comment